Last updated 24 October 2023
1. What is Personal Information?
"Personal Information" is information or an opinion, whether true or not, and whether recorded in material form or not, about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable.
2. What Personal Information does ESA collect?
The type of Personal Information that ESA collects and holds depends on our interaction with you, but may include:
- contact information such as your first and family name, telephone numbers (landline and/or mobile), email address, and postal address;
- your school name;
- your school or home postcode;
- your teaching experience;
- dietary preferences (if you sign up for an event and choose to provide that information); and
- information from your social media accounts and profiles.
3. How does ESA collect your Personal Information?
ESA may collect your Personal Information in certain circumstances, including when you:
- browse, make an enquiry or otherwise interact with the DT Hub Website;
- contact ESA by telephone, fax, email, social media, post or in person;
- sign up to attend a DT Hub event such as a workshop;
- sign up to participate in a DT Hub Webinar;
- sign up to receive DT Hub News;
- sign up to user testing;
- contribute to the DT Hub;
- choose to provide your email address when participating in a competition, activity, contest or survey for the purpose of enabling ESA to conduct a prize draw and contact winners with prize details or to provide a gift upon the completion of an activity;
- provide feedback to us;
- visit a premises from which we operate; or
- where we are otherwise required or authorised by law to do so.
4. Third party Personal Information provided to us
5. Remaining anonymous or using a pseudonym: are you required to provide Personal Information?
Where it is not impractical or unlawful, you may interact with ESA without identifying yourself or using a pseudonym. As a general principle, you provide ESA with your Personal Information voluntarily and there are generally no detrimental effects for you if you choose not to consent or to provide Personal Information. However, there are circumstances in which ESA cannot take action without certain Personal Information. For example, Personal Information may be required to provide you with access to specific web offerings or newsletters. In these cases, it will not be possible for ESA to provide you with what you request without the relevant Personal Information and ESA will notify you accordingly.
6. Information collected via our Website
Personal Information may be collected by us and by our third party service providers who assist us in operating our website at www.digitaltechnologieshub.edu.au (the Website).
We may use various technological methods from time to time to track the visiting patterns of individuals accessing our Website, including but not limited to the methods set out in this paragraph 6.
Click Stream Data
When you read, browse or download information from our Website, we or our internet service provider may also collect information such as the date, time and duration of a visit, the pages accessed, the IP address of your computer, and any information downloaded. This information may be used for purposes including statistical, reporting and website administration, maintenance and improvement purposes.
Our Website may use 'cookies' from time to time. Cookies are small text files that are transferred to a user's computer hard drive by a website for the purpose of storing information about a user's identity, browser type or website visiting patterns. Cookies may be used on our Website to monitor web traffic, for example the time of visit, pages visited and some system information about the type of computer being used. We use this information to enhance the content and services offered on our Website.
Cookies are sometimes also used to collect information about what pages you visit and the type of software you are using. If you access our Website or click-through to our Website from a link in an email we send you, a cookie may be downloaded onto your computer's hard drive.
Cookies may also be used for other purposes on our Website.
We use Google Analytics to help analyse how you use our Website. Google Analytics generates statistical and other information about website use by means of cookies, which are stored on users' computers. The information generated is used to create reports about the use of our Website. Google will store this information.
If you do not want your Website visit data reported by Google Analytics, you can install the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on. For more details on installing and uninstalling the add-on, please visit the Google Analytics opt-out page at https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout.
7. Handling of Personal Information
7.1 Use of your Personal Information
We use the Personal Information we collect about you for DT Hub's functions and activities, in order to operate DT Hub efficiently and to market our products and services.
We may collect, hold and use your Personal Information:
- to identify and communicate with you;
- to provide services or things you may have requested, for example, providing access to specific content on the DT Hub;
- to communicate with you through channels you have approved to keep you up-to-date on the latest information (including newsletters and emails);
- to provide you with your dietary requirements at events;
- to provide you with information about customer surveys, marketing campaigns, market analysis, contests or other promotional activities or events;
- to conduct a prize draw for a competition, activity, contest or survey, contacting a winner with prize details and delivering a process or delivering a gift upon the completion of an activity;
- to collect information about your preferences to create a user profile to personalise and foster the quality of our communication and interaction with you (for example, by way of newsletter tracking or website analytics);
- to manage and administer your relationship with ESA;
- for compliance with ESA’s legal obligations (such as record keeping obligations);
- to analyse and improve ESA’s services and communications to you;
- for compliance with ESA’s legal and regulatory obligations and requests anywhere in the world, including reporting to and/or being audited by national and international regulatory bodies;
- for compliance with court orders and/or to defend ESA’s legal rights; and
- for any purpose related and/or ancillary to any of the above or any other purpose for which your Personal Information was provided to ESA.
If you contribute to the DT Hub and you give consent to ESA to publish your name on the DT Hub you should be aware that Personal Information published on the DT Hub is accessible by multiple users from all over the world, that it may be indexed by search engines and that it may be copied and used by any web user. This means that, once Personal Information is published on the DT Hub, ESA will have no control over its subsequent use and disclosure.
We may aggregate Personal Information for reporting, statistical and analysis purposes, and for business, product and service improvement purposes. This allows us to better inform ourselves and anticipate our customers' preferences and requirements, and to monitor and improve the effectiveness of our business, products and services. We may also de-identify information for inclusion in such aggregated databases or reports.
We reserve the right at all times to monitor, review, retain, and/or disclose any information as necessary to satisfy any applicable law, but we have no obligation to monitor the use of the Website or to retain the content of any user session.
We may otherwise collect, use or disclose your Personal Information where the collection, use or disclosure is:
- required or authorised by law, including without limitation the APPs under the Privacy Act.
7.2 Disclosure of your Personal Information
We may disclose, or provide access to, your Personal Information to third parties in connection with the purposes described in paragraph 7.1. Depending on the circumstances and the nature of your engagement with us, we may disclose your Personal Information to our related entities, to third parties that provide products and services to us or through us, or to other third parties.
We may also disclose your Personal Information to:
- your nominated representatives;
- ESA's related entities, internal divisions, business units or departments
- other organisations who assist us in providing products and services to you;
- professional service providers and advisors who perform functions on our behalf, such as lawyers;
- representatives, agents or contractors who are appointed by us in the ordinary operation of our business to assist us in providing goods or services or administering our business (such as for data storage or processing, printing, mailing, marketing, planning and product or service development);
- Government, regulatory authorities and other organisations as required or authorised by law; and
We may also disclose your Personal Information to our Website host in certain limited circumstances, for example when our Website experiences a technical problem or to ensure that it operates in an effective and secure manner.
7.3 Interstate and overseas disclosures
Some of your Personal Information may be disclosed, transferred, stored, processed or used overseas by us, or by third party service providers. This may happen if:
- our offices or related entities are overseas;
- we outsource certain activities overseas;
- transactions, information, services or products have an overseas connection; or
- our computer systems, including IT services, are located overseas.
7.4 Other uses and disclosures
You consent to us using your Personal Information for sending you information, including promotional material and surveys about us or our products and services, as well as the products and services of our related entities and third parties, now and in the future. You also consent to us sending you such information by means of direct mail, email, SMS and MMS messages.
If you do not want to receive marketing information from us, you can unsubscribe in any of the following ways:
- clicking on the 'Unsubscribe' or subscription preferences link in a direct marketing email that you have received from us; or
- contacting us using the contact details specified in paragraph 11.
8. Access to the personal information
ESA endeavours to ensure that the Personal Information that it holds is accurate, up-to-date, complete and relevant. If you want to know what, if any, Personal Information ESA hold about you, or wish to correct any Personal Information ESA may hold about you, you may access this information by contacting using the contact details specified in paragraph 11.
ESA may allow access to, make your requested changes to or delete your personal information unless otherwise required or permitted by law. ESA will notify you of the basis for any denial of access to your personal information.
When personal information is no longer required, ESA takes reasonable steps to de-identify, securely destroy or delete such personal information.
9. Security of your personal information
ESA takes reasonable steps to protect the personal information that it holds against misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure by utilising up-to-date electronic and physical security controls that comply with relevant industry standards and guidelines.
If you do not wish to use the internet to transmit personal information you can mail or telephone ESA using the contact information provided at paragraph 11.
You should also note that if you link to a non-DT Hub web page, a different privacy and security statement is likely to apply.
10. How we deal with complaints about Privacy
It would assist us to respond to your complaint promptly if it is made in writing. Please detail information relevant to your complaint.
We will notify you of the outcome of our investigation.
- Telephone: +61 3 9207 9600;
- Post: Post Office Box 177, Carlton South, Victoria, Australia 3053; or
- Email: [email protected].